VIZIO TV is probably the best option if you do not want to spend a tidy sum of money on your television. It is usually less expensive than its rivals, but it has all the latest features.
Vizio TVs like all tech will occasionally fail to function, and you will encounter numerous problems when using them.
Let’s look at some of the most common problems Vizio TV owners face and how to fix them, as they are rather simple to fix.
Also, check our guide on the best 75-inch TVs under $1000.
Common VIZIO TV problems & how to fix them
Here are some of the most common Vizio TV problems and how to fix them:
1. Vizio TV is on but the Screen is Black
If your VIZIO TV shows a black screen but has sound, then you are in great trouble.
You might have to change the inverter board or power board for troubleshooting VIZIO TV black screen problem.
Before contacting the manufacturer try the following method. It may save you from further hassle.
If your VIZIO TV goes black for a few seconds, then it is called the black screen of death. You may try this method to fix the VIZIO smart TV black screen issue.
- See if you have a stable power connection
- Turn off the TV
- Now remove the power source
- Press and hold the TV’s power button.
- Hold for 30 seconds then release
- Now Turn on your TV again
If this does not solve the VIZIO TV power on but black screen issue, then perform a flashlight test to make sure if it has a faulty inverter board.
You should shine a flashlight on the TV from a close distance. If can see any image, then it has a faulty inverter board.
Now, you should contact a professional to replace the hardware.
2. Vizio TV Screen is Blinking
With smart TVs, you may experience screen flickering at any time. You should contact the manufacturers if the problem is caused by internal damage.
Follow the instructions below before asking for their help.
Externally connected wires or devices might cause VIZIO TV Screen problems.
So, before you do anything else, unplug all of your other cables and devices for a minute. Restart your television to see if everything is working properly now.
Here is another method you can try. You can go through the advanced video settings from the main menu to make some changes.
You should turn off the following settings below to stop screen flickering.
- Advanced Adaptive Luma
- Backlight Control
- Ambient Lighting
If the screen is still blinking, you should conduct a power cycle by following steps:
- Turn off your television.
- Unplug the power cable.
- Press and hold the power button for half a minute and then release it.
- Plug back the power cable.
- Turn on the power again.
If it is not still working before asking for assistance from the manufacturer you should perform a factory reset.
Follow the instruction below to learn how to reset VIZIO TV:
- Go to the Menu option.
- Now select System from there.
- Then select Reset & Admin.
- Select Reset TV to Factory Defaults.
- If required enter the system PIN which is 0000.
- Select Reset
Resetting any smart TVs are intuitive. Just follow the steps displayed on the screen and you should be able to do that.
3. Vizio Remote Control Does Not Work
A Vizio TV remote is occasionally viewed as a point of criticism or weakness for the Vizio TVs. Many users have complained about the remotes suddenly stopping operating, but there are multiple causes for this.
- Since not all batteries are made equal, you should examine your remote’s batteries first. Therefore, if you are using less expensive cheap, quality batteries, it is more likely to suck up power more quickly. You should consider replacing the batteries to check whether it fixes the issue.
- If it still does not function, there are chances that some internal component damage has occurred as a consequence of dampness or shock.
Fortunately, Vizio offers replacement remote controls for a reasonable price, so just request one.
Meanwhile, you can do the following:
- You can get the Vizio Remote Control software, which enables you to operate the SmartCast system using your smartphone as a remote control.
- There are iOS and Android versions of the Vizio Remote App. All you need to do is make sure your device is on the same Wi-Fi network as your Vizio TV.
You can learn more about this problem, here.
4. Vizio TV Does not Connect to Wi-Fi
If you have VIZIO TV internet connection problems, you are not alone. Most often people face VIZIO TV Wi-Fi connection issues.
This problem may cause by a slow internet connection. Let’s find out how you can solve the VIZIO TV internet connection issues below.
While troubleshooting VIZIO TV Wi-Fi connection issues, you need to make sure a stable internet connection. Now follow the instruction below:
- Connect a different device to the internet for checking the network stability.
- Press the Menu button.
- Go to Network.
- Then select DHCP from Manual Setup.
- Now turn DHCP to ON.
- Now turn off and remove the power cable from the socket of your TV, Router, and Modem
- Hold the power button of these devices then release it after 10 seconds
- Now turn them on and connect your TV
If you still have the same problem, do a factory reset. We have mentioned above how to do so.
Now, connect your TV again to the Wi-Fi from the settings. You can also try a wired Ethernet connection if the problem stays.
5. Vizio TV Does Not Turn on
A variety of reasons could be accountable for this problem. It’s impossible to simply determine what went wrong in the first place.
Before reaching a conclusion, you must check a list of things. To find out what went wrong and how to fix it, follow the instructions below.
As you are aware, you must examine a variety of factors to determine the problem and potential solutions.
First, see if you have any issues with the power button.
- Your VIZIO TV has two power buttons. One is featured on the television’s body, while the other is placed on the remote control.
- So, if your VIZIO TV remote is not working, you can use the power button on the TV’s body to turn it on.
- If the problem is the TV won’t turn on with the remote then you can change its batteries. Or you can just buy a new remote for your VIZIO TV.
On the other hand, if your remote is okay, however, still your VIZIO TV has a black screen and no sound then you should check the power cable.
- Your TV will not turn on if the power cable or cord is damaged. Check to see that the television is properly connected to the power source.
- Finally, if your TV’s remote control is working and has an active power supply then most probably it is a hardware issue.
In that scenario, we urge that you seek expert assistance. If you have a warranty, you can get free service.
You can learn more about this problem, here.
6. Horizontal lines on Vizio tv screen
A common problem that users have reported is that they are experiencing horizontal lines on the screen. There are several possible reasons for the appearance of horizontal lines on a Vizio TV, it could be something as simple as a loose HDMI cable or something major like permanent damage to the panel.
Lines that can appear on your TV can be horizontal lines running horizontally across your TV’s width or they can be colored vertical lines running vertically on your Vizio TVs display screen.
Let’s find out how to solve this problem.
Firstly, check if the lines are moving or stationary.
If they are stationary, then it’s a hardware (LCD) problem, so you’ll need to contact Vizio or take your set to a TV repair center.
If the lines are moving, then it’s a software (Firmware) problem, Try the following fixes:
- Run a picture test. Your input source to your Tv might be having issues. You can switch your input source to another and check if it is showing the same horizontal lines. If yes, then the issue is not your TV but the source.
- The Power cycle is an effective way of solving common tv problems like the horizontal lines either black or colored on Vizio TV’s display. To perform the power cycle, you need to unplug the power cord from the power source and keep it disconnect for 15 mins and then restart again.
- If the issue persists, then you need to update the firmware via their OTA updates to the latest version. After updates are installed properly check whether it is showing updated to the latest version. Now, it is recommended to perform a restart of your Vizio TV
- If all else fails, you can factory reset your TV. This will remove any settings that might have been updated on your TV, so you’ll have to do it before you make any changes to your TV. This can be done quickly in the settings, and it will usually run a season scan to make sure that your TV is back in working order.
7. Vizio TV Blue screen of death
It is normal to panic when your TV screen abruptly turns blue while watching your favorite show. In the world of computers, a blue screen, the” Blue screen of death,” often gets a bad reputation and is regarded as a possible sign of irreparable damage.
However, a blue screen could mean a cabling issue when it comes to TVs, or the source device is not set in a proper mode. So before you panic try the following fixes below.
- First, unplug the TV from power for about 5 to 10 minutes, and then plug it back in to see if the problem clears up. Your TV has processors, like any other operating system, can crash, unplugging it from the mains, resets the microprocessor.
- Next, check the antenna connections, audio-video, and HDMI cables. When there is weak or no signal from a source device, your TV screen will shift to blue.
- Check your source device settings and make sure that all output settings are turned on. Then, try another source device to see if a blue screen still turns up.
- If you’ve tried all the above and still have a blue screen, you might need to check the TV hardware for faults. This often involves testing the power board voltage. If the power board is fine, you might need to replace your TV T-Con board.
8. VIZIO Smartcast Not Working
VIZIO Smartcast is an awesome feature that allows you to browse and discover TV shows, music, and live streams.
However, often you might face trouble accessing the Smartcast. If the Smartcast is not loading or shows unavailable, you can follow the instructions below.
There could be several reasons behind the Smart Cast not loading in your VIZIO TV. You should try the following steps to solve the issue.
- Ensure that you have a stable internet connection
- Switch your TV to HDMI 1 and wait for a while
- Now press the Menu button
- Then go to System > Reset & Admin > Soft Power Cycle > Yes.
- Your TV will restart now.
- Wait till the Information Bar disappears.
- Now, wait half a minute before changing the TV from HDMI 1 to Smart Cast.
If this process does not resolve the issue you should perform the factory reset and have a stable internet connection.
You can learn more about this problem, here.
9. Vizio TV Won’t Turn On With Remote
If your remote works well but you can’t turn on your TV with it, follow the steps below.
Before you do that, make sure the remote control has new batteries and that there are no obstacles between the TV and the remote.
This is not a major problem. If your remote is outdated or is not working after replacing the batteries for whatever reason, you should get a new one first.
If your new remote isn’t working, try the following:
- Unplug the power cord.
- Hold the power button down for ten seconds.
- Plug the power cord back.
- Now turn on the TV again.
Hopefully, your remote will work again now. Now, watch this video if your TV still is not turning on.
10. VIZIO TV Shows Pictures But No Sound
Another common problem that Vizio TV users encounter is of having no audio.
Three reasons could be causing sound problems on your VIZIO TV. You won’t be able to hear anything if your TV’s cables are damaged or the volume is reduced to zero. On the other hand, if you have a faulty speaker, your TV will show pictures without sound.
If you are using the built-in speaker of your VIZIO TV, then follow the instructions below:
- Make sure your TV’s volume is not set to zero.
- Check to see whether the television is muted.
- Ensure you have attached the right cables in the right place.
- Disconnect and reconnect all the connected devices and cables
If you have the same problem again then try the following instruction:
- Press the Menu button
- Go to Audio settings.
- Now TV Speaker setting option should be ON.
- If it is OFF then press OK to turn it ON.
If these two methods do not solve sound issues with VIZIO TV, then you need to replace the built-in speaker. Alternatively, you can connect your TV to an external speaker.
Your Vizio TV can stop working from time to time because of several factors. This article covers all common issues and their solutions.
You can troubleshoot many problems with your Smart TV by performing a factory reset. Also, troubleshoot Vizio TV by updating the firmware.
If all steps fail, contact customer support for further assistance.